Question:
Should I use high loft wedges?
Daniel
2012-06-25 12:58:18 UTC
Please answer this question directly, given the following pieces of information, and not answers such as “you should try to get better with regular wedges” or “if you learn to swing the golf club correctly this won’t be an issue.” Please just answer this question with a simple yes or no and explain why. Thanks!

-I am getting into golfing and am trying to develop a consistent swing
-but my short game is very inconsistent and I often ‘catch’ too much of the ball with wedge shots from within 20 yards of the green, sending the ball flying with a lower trajectory than I want.
-It is my idea that if I use a higher-lofted club like a 70 degree, the ‘damage’ when I miss will be less severe than with a typical 56 degree SW or even a 60 degree LW, and in addition I can have more touch on chips just off the fringe.

Will using a super-high lofted wedge near the green help me given my issues?
Eight answers:
Kris
2012-06-25 14:34:25 UTC
Well my friend first of all GOOD LUCK, golf is a hard game and ive played for 26 years. High lofted wedges are hard to hit consistenly and if not hit correctly you will have the same problem. Make sure if you do decide to try the higher lofted wedges to stay down on the ball through impact and play the ball in the back of your stance to get the ball to spin or check-up.
2012-06-25 13:06:54 UTC
I don't think so. If you're catching balls thin, then going to higher-lofted wedges will only make you skull the ball more.

You don't need anything higher than a 60 or maybe 62 or 64 at the most. My LW is a 58 degree and I'm not even that good of a golfer.

I would just suggest that you practice more and learn proper technique, and make sure you are hitting down on the ball and not trying to "scoop" the ball up, because that's when you might skull it over the green. Open the clubface up slightly to "add loft", and open your feet up to the target. Swing along the line of your feet. That will make the ball go higher and land softer on the green with some spin.
Spartawo...
2012-06-25 13:25:23 UTC
Daniel, no, for the extra loft ( with the swing hit you use ) will only make matters worse in control of the shot. It sounds like there is too much movement in the club with body motion for catching the ball down into the grooved area of the face. Wedges have a natural lift to the ball that gives loft and back spin. Higher loft wedges will land on the green and maybe roll back into your lap. Try using only the shoulders at that distance and see if contact is not better.

Spartawo...
I Don't Give A Van Damme
2012-06-25 21:02:19 UTC
So you want to hit the ball higher around the green. No problem. Open the face of your club

I've never seen a 70 degree wedge. The highest production wedge I've seen is a 64, and only a few players use those. You don't really need one, a 60 is just as effective and much easier to hit.

You know how to hit a flop shot, right? if not, maybe a video can help. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5ophbTUY7s no need to hit the extreme flop shot Phil is showing, but opening your club face will give you the higher shot you're looking for.
Slash
2012-06-25 16:44:52 UTC
No. Use less loft. If you are learning, go with a pitching wedge and take a long putter stroke towards the green. It won't be perfect, but the mishits are not as bad. This will teach you "feel" for the ball coming off of your club face. The only time you want to use a 60 degree+ wedge is when you have the ability to control spin.
rbkgolfshop
2012-06-25 16:29:44 UTC
No. You need to develop a good Pitching skills with your SW. Practice pitching a lot on the driving range on short ranges from 10 yards and on.

FYI, I have never seen a 70 degree wedge. The highest loft on a wedge is 64 degree.
KStarr
2012-06-25 20:50:09 UTC
NO WAY! the highest loft you need is 60*... Phil Michelson is the only one i know that uses a higher loft and he only goes to 64*. It acutely gets harder to hit with loft like that. In the rough you'll just swipe under the ball not even moving it.

--if your hitting the low and to far you not catching it clean and hitting them thin. I bet your not even take divots?( strike down on the ball, hitting the ball first with a divot fallowing the balls Original positions.) Dont de-accelerate, meaning you try to hit it short by swinging soft. Always swing aggressive through the ball. Let your back swing determine your distance.

Your wedges are the best lofts to play with.
fleurizard
2016-11-29 14:17:51 UTC
it is the seventy 3 degree via experience golf. have used experience sixty 4 degree as 5th wedge for no less than 4 seasons. senior golfer. 3 wood hi chook long golf equipment. with training . saved handicap reliable. have 6 experience wedges. very underrated golf club. nicely nicely well worth the attempt. not the sixty 4 without training. do not use older wedges. probably next season all 5 would be experience.