Question:
Ping Eye 2 wedge Question?
ag13kings09
2009-07-22 14:49:36 UTC
I am currently in the market to buy a Ping Eye 2 lob wedge and sand wedge. I have figured out the sand wedge but finding the right loft on a lob wedge is a pain. Does anyone know the loft on the Ping Eye w Plus no Plus Square Groove lob wedge? If so can you maybe list a site so i can look at the loft.
Ten answers:
honestexpert
2009-07-22 16:27:59 UTC
The traditional wedge set includes a gap wedge 52 degrees, sand wedge 56 degrees and a lob wedge 60 degrees. Be sure that loft is assessed before you buy. The wedges offered today by Vokey and Cleveland, one and two on PGA Tour come in evry loft from 48 to 64 degrees. As important as loft is the bounce angle. If the EFFECTIVE loft is changed with club head positioning, (opened face at address) the EFFECTIVE loft can be in the high 70's. However, with a club head in this position the leading edge is also impacted by the bounce angle and shots from very tight lies become a huge problem and most amateirs will either "belly the ball", impact nearer the equator of the ball or deflect from hitting surface first resulting in what is called a "skulled shot". Be mindful you can visit any reputatble golf shop and change the loft as needed but changeing the bounce angle without grinding material away is tough at best. One more thought for you. The leading edge on mass retail golf outlets has considerable camber to the leading edge. Put a business card from the toe to heel to see how much camber or "curve" there is to the leading edge. Professional tour players want a straight leading edge because of their proficientcy at striking the ball before the turf. A hack will lay the sod over the ball. Consider your playing capabilities and where you play. Determine where you would most likely use a 60 degree wedge. If it's a few times per round I suggest having your sand wedge adjusted to 58 degrees which in the case of Ping Eye 2's gives you dual use, i.e. sand play and lobbing the ball from turf. If you are on extreme hard pan the bounce angle on Ping lob wedges will not work, especially since you proably don't practice this shot much. Here's a drill: Get a few plastic balls and hit shots of a linoleum or hardwood floor. Instant feedback on you swing and capabilities. Best of luck!
2016-12-12 17:42:33 UTC
Ping Eye 2 Sand Wedge
wasden
2016-10-28 11:15:39 UTC
Ping Eye 2 Wedge
2016-03-13 20:49:33 UTC
To say that player carrying the Ping Eye 2 wedges is "cheating", is wrong. Cheating is using illegal clubs; using performance-enhancing drugs; etc. Is it legal to play the wedges? Yes. Therefore the players like Phil Mickelson who are using the wedge are not cheating, they are properly abiding by the rules. Anyone and everyone who plays golf is always trying to get better, and using this wedge is no exception. It is within the rules for now, and I think the players are free to carry the wedge as long as it is within the rules. I disagree with Scott McCarron when he says that the players who use the Ping Eye 2 wedges are gaining an "unfair advantage". Any Tour player (or any golfer) could go to Ebay and get a Ping Eye 2 wedge, and they could use it. It is not like only certain players can get their hands on a Ping Eye 2 wedge. Right now this controversy is not a huge problem, but it could become one. It will really become a problem if the following scenario occurs: Two players, tied for the lead in a tournament, come down the 72nd hole, and miss the green with their second shots and both end up in the rough, short-sided with little green to work with. One player is playing the Ping Eye 2 wedge with square grooves, whereas the other player is playing with a wedge that conforms to the 2010 groove rule and has V-grooves. The player with the Ping Eye 2 wedge can get enough spin to stop the ball close to the hole and make par. The player with V-grooves cannot get enough spin, and his shot goes 15 feet past the hole, and he loses the tournament. Now, that would be a problem...
2015-08-07 21:34:12 UTC
This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Ping Eye 2 wedge Question?

2009-07-22 15:56:12 UTC
If you do get a Ping wedge, make sure that it's BECU (berrylium copper). These are some of the best wedges ever made and you can find them on ebay. Many pros also use the BECU lob wedge.
doug4jets
2009-07-22 15:17:54 UTC
Sorry, no, but standard loft on the SW is 56 degrees. I've seen LW 58, 60, and 64. It's all personal preference. Good luck!
2009-07-22 15:23:39 UTC
here is a link to an article from EBAY on the different Ping wedges.

http://reviews.ebay.com/More-Buying-Classic-Ping-Irons_W0QQugidZ10000000000873126?ssPageName=BUYGD:CAT:-1:SEARCH:1
2016-04-01 11:11:58 UTC
For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/HskLc

If the club is legal, it is not cheating! Phil and John have every right to use a "legal" club and so does everyone else!
jesse
2016-09-12 04:27:16 UTC
That is a great question