Question:
Need help with my game of golf?
simple_man_norfolk
2006-03-28 18:37:17 UTC
Have been playing on/off now for about 10 yrs, more off than on though, I have a good set of irons, woods and a Very good putter. I just can't seem to get my score out of the 100's. Never have computed my handicap so don't ask what it is, am considering taking lessons to see what I am doing wrong. ANY pointers out there?
Seven answers:
TeeDawg
2006-03-29 11:40:21 UTC
The lessons are a good idea. Why not just sign up for three lessons to get your swing straight. Then plan on hitting a bucket at the range and practice chipping once per week to stay in the groove. If your swing gets out of whack, take a tune-up lesson from time to time. If you do these things, you should be able to shoot in the 80s consistently and maybe better depending on your natural talent.

If you never get out of the hundreds? Who cares! Play because you enjoy spending time on the course with some friends.
gladerade
2006-03-29 06:49:43 UTC
Lessons are a great idea and a qualified PGA professional can find problems in your swing and help you correct them.

But the biggest thing is just to get out and practice and the best way to practice is to play. Golf is a game of consistency, making the same swing with the same motion every time you go to make a certain shot. The more consistency you have, the lower your scores will be because the ball will be doing what you want it to. Best thing I ever did for my game was buy myself a club membership ... made me feel like I needed to go play more to justify spending all that money. But, by the end of the season, all those trips to the course knocked about 15-18 strokes off my game, making me a high 90s-low 100s player to a low to mid 80s player (and hoping to keep getting better from there).
2006-03-29 02:57:51 UTC
Before you go spending hundreds on lessons first figure out the strong/weak points of your game. Is finding the fairway a problem, do you slice, etc. Or is it getting the ball to the green? You have to start there. Each problem is a simple fix but you have to fix each problem separately. The first thing is to get the ball in the fairway off the tee. Your grip, your swing, and your posture all have a direct affect on this. Take a video of your swing from the front at address and then brom the back during your swing. Do you have an inside out swing, where is the ball at setup (Towards the front of your stance/back)? If your grip has the V between your thumb and index facing behind you or even as far as underneath? This is huge in a driver swing. The V should be facing directly toward your right shoulder. There are so many things to look at but that's a good start for getting off the tee. Make sure that when you swing your left arm remains straight until it is paralell with your waist and then let it naturally hinge. Make sure that your feet don't leave the ground until after ball is struck where then your turn should naturally lift the right heel off the ground. Make sure your balance is perfect between both legs at address. ETC.Enjoy
Bogeythedog
2006-03-29 02:42:44 UTC
Besides taking lessons, practicing is the next logical answer. Be ing succesful at golf is not having the nicest swing, it's being able to reproduce the same results when ever you desired. Thinking along those lines, try to get your swing as consistant as possible. Being able to know what you are capable of and if you can reproduce your swing requires practice.
Doug
2006-03-29 04:13:04 UTC
Go to www.playgolfamerica.com and put in your zip code. April is club fitting month. Golf pro's across the country are doing free club evaluations. They will let you know if changing clubs will help you or not. May is free golf lesson month. Same web site sign up with a local pro and after the free lesson they can tell you about programs that can help you.
scottypsp
2006-03-29 03:07:04 UTC
Take a series of lessons from a PGA professional and practice as much as possible. Also, play golf as much as possible too. More than once a week if possible.
peteross1031
2006-03-29 02:41:58 UTC
Try listening to a caddy...slow your swing and by all means might as well get as goofily dressed-up as possible. Smoke a bowl and a drink a six-pack,...by the end of 18...does it really matter, especially after 10 years of giving it the old college try.